Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Posterity

What's the point of all this? It's something of a collection of most of the "major" works that I've created since attending the university. Many of these works are old, and I take no shame in wishing to distance myself from them. It's much like those pimply teenage photographs, except these are actually my fault.


Calendar Assignment
These first works were done in an Illustrator class for a calendar project. These are placed in order for the events taking place in the pictures, but I actually created the fourth one first, then went back and created the first one in this list and moved forward from there. Go ahead and laugh at my rendition of trees in the final one.







Photoshop/Illustrator Creations
This is the banner for my Woods of Eternity blog. Why "Woods of Eternity"? It sounds cool. Why this header image? It looks cool. That's strong design at work, right there. The basics were made using Illustrator, then I touched them up significantly in Photoshop.
Illustrator Class Assignments
Just some junk I made for my Illustrator class.
This thing was done even before the calendar assignment, and long before I wizened up by attempting to emulate Adam Phillips' fantastic landscape illustration technique.
You may think that this one looks like crap, and you'd be right. What you wouldn't know, though, is that it was actually one of the more inspired works by the class. Take from that what you will.
This is one of my few works that resulted from my Illustrator class that I am actually pleased with. I have no idea what inspired that little wrench character, but I want to do more with him, sometime.
Photoshop Class Assignments 
To be honest, I don't know what I exactly learned in this class. It more just challenged me to actually get around to completing certain assigned projects, rather than taught me any design techniques. In particular, I did a bit of digital painting, which I found that I greatly enjoy (in certain cases).

This first work was to create an advertisement poster. The idea had been to digitally paint the appearance of me being water, but obviously that didn't quite turn out. Oh, well
Yet another work in Photoshop. Notice my deep understanding of calligraphy as evidenced by my fantastic "Rise to Your Dreams" pitch. Also, fat self is fat. I do take a small tidbit of pride in figuring out how to pull off the appearance of myself standing on my own shoulders, though.
This is a failed (that is, abandoned) attempt to complete a poster for a Dungeons and Dragons shop. The idea was to have the quasi-elements represented in four boxes, oriented towards the elements they were mixing. Although this was never finished, I learned a lot about digital painting from it, and I'm still pleased, mostly, with how what was finished turned out.
Possibly the only thing made in my Photoshop class that I think actually turned out alright. That is, aside from the bouncy sound of the slogan.

Web Designs
Note: I don't list these in my portfolio for a reason.
This design was made as a come-uppance for a professor I didn't particularly care for in Introduction to Computers. The assignment was to create a website for an imaginary organization, and this was mine. I figured I'd wow with my awesome web design skills, but I still got a poor grade in that class. There is a live version of a sort.
This website was made for a college radio comedy show with a tongue-in-cheek 50's flavor that I had planned but never got around to producing. The website itself isn't fantastic from a design standpoint, particularly not now, three years later, but it does portray the time and touches on the satire that was intended to be at play, so I suppose that in that sense it was a success. A live version is available for viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment